Firm's Information

My Law,LLC Immigration Law Firm WebSite: www.mylawllc.com E-mail: attorney@mylawllc.com Phone: 1-(630) 903-9625

Monday, May 9, 2011

I am in the U.S. in B-2 status. Can I change my status to H1B while I am here?

I am in the U.S. in B-2 status. Can I change my status to H1B while I am here?  
©MurthyDotCom
A person in B-2 status is allowed to file an application with the USCIS to change status to H1B. In general, however, our firm does not advise that a person file an application to change status from B-2 to H1B.

Even if the application for change of status from B-2 to H1B is approved by the USCIS, it may be difficult to obtain an H1B visa in the passport from a U.S. consulate abroad.

A consular officer will deny the application for an H1B visa if s/he believes one has misrepresented him/herself upon entry to the United States. In fact, some consular posts in Canada and Mexico do not even accept such applications.

Rather than file a change-of-status application from within the U.S., it is better to depart the U.S. and have one's prospective employer file an H1B petition on one's behalf. Once it is approved, one will be able to apply for an H1B visa at the U.S. consulate in her/his home country.



My Law, LLC
Immigration & Tax Law Firm
Phone: (630) 903-9625 
Web-Site: www.mylawllc.com
    

No comments:

Post a Comment

WebSite: http://mylawllc.com/
Phone: (630) 903-9625
E-mail: attorney@mylawllc.com